Jens Alfke — whose blog I discovered today after he'd been Microsofted — doesn't like PHP anymore and I share some of his reasons. My pet peeves with PHP are:
- Crappy Unicode support (none in PHP 4, remember?);
- Needs to be recompiled every time a new extension is needed;
- Poor set of default extensions (see 2);
- Overlapping but not identical feature sets in different extensions (see 2 and 3);
- Nasty installation-dependent differences in behaviour (as Jens says so well).
Jens is looking at Ruby On Rails. So should I.
Update: Jens removed both posts. So much for permalinks.